The Adventures of an Aussie Girl in Albuquerque

The adventures of an Aussie girl living in the American Southwest...

Tuesday, March 21, 2006

Book Review

I'm trying to keep up my New Years resolution I set for myself a couple of years ago. I'm never really any good at keeping them (I don't think I've succeeded at any before) but I've got to admit I'm doing a pretty good job with this one.

My goal is to read at least one book a month and although it was a lot easier when I was catching the train to work I'm still keeping up my quota. The last book I read was "The Kite Runner" by Khaled Hosseini. It was recommended to me by a colleague and is the story of a young boy growing up in Afghanistan. It was an interesting story and one that made me realise how uneducated I am when it comes to world history. I really had no idea about their history and I guess it made me realise how lucky we are in respect to our way of life and the opportunities that we've been given.

It's actually inspired me to put together a list of things that I want to do. Some things will be easy, some things will be things that I've said I'm going to do but I never get around to and some things will be a challenge. So without further ado... the first item on my list:

1. Learn another language (looks like Spanish since I've already bought a "Learning Spanish" CD set)!

2 Comments:

  • At 6:02 AM, Blogger Tim Robinson said…

    Ooo ... Spanish eh?

    We've bought a beginners guide to Italian on CD.

    Who knows, we might be both fluent in languages the others won't understand by the time you guys get back to our fair shores !

     
  • At 6:58 AM, Blogger Scoutj said…

    I loved that book.

    Have you read The Bone People?

     

Post a Comment

<< Home